Rooster’s halfback Sam Walker will make his long-awaited State of Origin debut, while Broncos superstar Reece Walsh has been scratched from Billy Slater’s Maroons team.
Queensland’s first team for the 2026 Origin series was officially named on Monday morning, confirming speculation that Broncos No.1 Walsh would be cut from the squad.
Walker will achieve what his father and uncle – former Broncos stars Ben and Shane – did not when he dons the Maroons jersey, after Dearden suffered a serious syndesmosis “high ankle” injury.
Newcastle fullback Kalyn Ponga has been given the nod at fullback ahead of Walsh, who has endured a hot and cold comeback from a fractured cheekbone three weeks ago.
Walker had been heavily favoured to clinch the halfback duties before he had some defensive deficiencies exposed in the past two weeks. He does, however, bring one of the most complete short kicking games to the table, and his creative instincts have drawn comparisons to Maroons great Allan Langer.
“I think there are a lot of similarities with Alf [Langer], people questioned whether Alf could do it because of his size, people questioned whether Alf could do it because of his defence, but Alf could do things that a lot of other players couldn’t,” Queensland and Broncos legend Darren Lockyer said on Friday.
“He had his small kicking game, had an ability to read the game, so I think Sam comparing him to Alf, there are a lot of similarities there. I remember when I played people questioned my defence too, so I think it just motivates you more to be better at it.
“I suspect given the talk around Sam and his defence … that’ll make him better.”
Coach Billy Slater’s call to usher Ponga in as his fullback comes at the expense of Walsh, with the incumbent Kangaroos No.1 and reigning Clive Churchill Medallist overlooked for the squad entirely.
Queensland’s other fullback contender, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, has been named in the centres, and will be joined by three Dolphins teammates, with Max Plath garnering a debut at lock, while Selwyn Cobbo and Thomas Flegler will make their returns to the interstate arena.
It is an emotional call-up for Flegler, who battled fears his career would be over after suffering nerve damage in his shoulder in the early rounds of the 2024 campaign. He only made his way back to the field this year.
Meanwhile, Cobbo has overcome a frustrating end to his time at the Broncos last year – in which a late-season hamstring injury kept him from featuring in the triumphant grand final side – to find his best form in Redcliffe.
The 23-year-old has cut a noticeably leaner figure since the preseason, and his work rate has improved drastically under coach Kristian Woolf.
“He’s ready to go back in that arena. You’ve seen how he played at the start of the year, his carries out of yardage … he’s a special talent,” Tabuai-Fidow said of Cobbo, following the Dolphins’ Magic Round win against the Rabbitohs.
“I think him going back into Origin camp it’ll be a big confidence boost for him. When he first came to the club he was happy and the boys loved having him around, and his work ethic [is something] he’s worked on throughout the preseason.
“It shows out there, he’s a special player and has still got a long way to go too.”
Jojo Fifita will debut on the other wing despite a poor Magic Round outing for the Titans – coming up with four errors.
No room could be found for breakout edge forwards Heilum Luki and Kulikefu Finefeuiaki.
Pat Carrigan has been named on the six-man bench despite being placed on report for a crusher tackle in the Broncos’ loss to the Warriors at the weekend, alongside club teammates Ezra Mam and Gehamat Shibasaki.
Briton Nikora will become Queensland’s first player to benefit from the NRL’s eligibility law changes, which allow those who have represented tier one Test nations to play Origin, provided they began playing junior rugby league in their respective states before their 13th birthday.
Get alerts on significant breaking news as happens. Sign up for our Breaking News Alert.




















